My client called me to help improve company performance. The strategy they had developed was beautiful, like a new 747, capable of taking them where they wanted to go. The problem was with how they were implementing and executing the strategy — they had built an equally-beautiful 5000-foot runway, but their 747 required 1000 feet to take-off.
Strategies never fail in the boardroom or strategy retreat. It’s in how it is implemented. Ask yourself:
- Do we have the right message and ability to communicate this strategy to our people?
- Do we have the organization structure we need to carry-out this strategy?
- Do we have the right people in all the key positions?
- Do we have the quality of management processes to translate this strategy down through the organization?
- And do we have the right reward systems to drive performance?
In the end, we launched that strategy and achieved the levels of profitable growth they had targeted. Make sure you build the right runway for your strategy to succeed.
© Copyright 2016 Bob Legge
Bob Legge provides organizations with the ability to exceed their most ambitious goals. I work with leaders of Fortune 500 companies, small and mid-size companies, nonprofits, education, and government. Together, we drive strategy, lead successful change, develop high performance cultures, improve individual and organizational performance, and produce faster, sustainable growth and value. Contact him at email@example.com